Prepared to Practice

Prepared To Practice
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Motor Vehicle Accidents
  4.  » When can you sue for lost income because of your injury?

When can you sue for lost income because of your injury?

On Behalf of | Aug 19, 2021 | Motor Vehicle Accidents

When that negligent driver struck your vehicle, your whole life changed. You may have suffered extensive injuries that required a long stay in the hospital. Even after the hospital released you, you might have had long-term or even permanent disabilities because of the crash that severely reduced your capacity to work like you used to. What can be done about this? Are you allowed to sue the responsible party for the money that you aren’t able to earn anymore?

Suing for lost wages

During your lawsuit against the party who was responsible for your injury, you can request compensation for lost wages. If you win the lawsuit, that party will have to pay you for what you would have earned during your recovery period.

You’ll have to prove to the court exactly what your regular salary is, and how much you would have earned if you had been able to work for that time that you spent recovering from your injuries and undergoing medical treatments.

Suing for loss of earning capacity

Even after you fully recover from the injury, if the accident left you with a disability – such as a severed limb, reduced vision, partial paralysis or the like – then you might not be able to earn as much as you did before the accident. If this is the case, you can also ask for compensation for loss of earning capacity during your lawsuit.

If you ask for compensation for loss of earning capacity, your attorney will have to present a solid argument for why you would have earned the amount that you ask for. The number you ask for must be realistic and based on things such as your skillset, former occupation and age.

Dealing with the aftermath of a tragic accident can be a horrendous undertaking for the victim. Fortunately, you have the opportunity to bring a lawsuit to seek the compensation that you need to support yourself and your family despite your injuries.